There's a call for you...

There is never a good time to get a call that starts with the phrase "I hate to have to call and tell you this...but...!" Still they come nonetheless. I am certain that no one is ever prepared when it does... not really! We got one of those calls last week. It was reminiscent of similar calls from the past, and it brought the same awkward rush of anxiety, fear, and emotion as those before it! You really are never prepared...

Angie got a call concerning her dad's emergency admittance to the hospital. He is almost 82, and has struggled with several difficult health issues for a while. She was told that the doctors were at wit's end with how to treat him! The fear was that he might have had a heart attack. Turns out he did; or at least half of one. The incomplete heart attack is apparently quite a risk in that the heart still wants to correct itself . Therein lies the jeopardy for an octogenarian with a very weak and frail heart. He had valve replacement surgery 21 years ago. Then, stints over ten years ago. At 82, he seems to be fighting a third round and the prognosis and treatment, as well as how this all plays out is pretty sketchy!

My first and immediate response was a call to arms! I am a firm believer in the power of prayer, but I also believe in the healing and comforting balm of encouragement. So in an effort to lift up my wife and her family, I reached out through the many networks and avenues of communication to present her to those who could provide her with much needed love and support! I must confess a broken and humbled spirit as I have received so many calls, texts, and e-mails! It has seemed nonstop! Each and every one I receive has been taken to Angie for viewing as if I were showing my mom a perfect report card! Kinda silly I know, but in the absence of answers to calm her heart, it is all I have to give her beyond my prayer and myself; I feel I owe her so much more! All those attempts by each of our friends to reach out to her allowed me to fill what I feared would be a,n empty quiver! I am undone by your generosity and concern!

I am so blessed to have so many wonderful friends and such a great family! In such times of great uncertainty in the world, our lives, and in our hearts, the prevailing power of friendship is so awesome and intoxicating! I can literally feel the love and support from each and every person we are blessed to call our friends as Angie moves through this paradigm shift that will leave her and all the rest of us changed in some way. And it will come... it is inevitable...

Ironically, I taught last Thursday night about the second greatest command that is found in Mark 12:31, where the word tells us to "love your neighbor as yourself." I have found myself being allowed to live out this teaching in these days hence, as each of you brings those words to life in mine and Angie's hearts! Thank you for all the prayers and encouragement as we move into this new season of our lives...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conscientious or contentious...

Doctor visits