On Steinbeck

I just had one of my hyper nerd moments! I just left this house. It was the childhood home of John Steinbeck in Salinas California. He grew up here. He wrote short stories before going to college at this house.

In my mind's eye, I can see him coming home to visit his parents with copies of some manuscript like Grapes of Wrath, Cannery Row, or Of Mice and Men in his worn out leather valise.

In his stories I found that crazy didnt just live at my house... its all of us. And, that when times are not good, everyone's experience is similar.  I found hope in the commonality of situation from him. He was one of the many reasons I wanted to be a writer myself when I left for college.

As I walked down this front path, I felt that emotional tug that tells my racing heart that I was standing in a very special place... at least for me...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conscientious or contentious...

Surviving now...